Library Services for Children
The Library is a great place for you and your kids. Blue Mountains City Council libraries offer a range of services especially for children. Check out what services are offered in the booklet - Blue Mountains City Council Library Service - Children's Services.
Why read with children?
- Reading is something that many of us enjoy and that we all need to be able to do. Every time we go out we are reading signs, labels and directions – not to mention newspapers, books and instructions on how to work the washing machine or video recorder!
- Letting children see you read lots of different things such as letters, cards, recipes and newsletters gives them positive messages about reading.
- Our language is the way we communicate with others. It helps us to understand ourselves and make sense of the world. Reading is an important way to learn language and learn about the world.
- Children who enjoy reading are likely to become confident learners.
- Reading can become a favourite hobby which children go on to enjoy all their lives.
- Reading and story time can be special time for both parents and children. If reading and story time is a relaxed and happy time, it helps build good relationships between you and your child and helps to show that reading is an enjoyable thing to do.
- Stories can help children to deal with the problems and fears they experience in everyday life.
This item was posted in August 2011.