Blackheath Public School - A Cool School
The thinking behind our Green "Cool School" agenda is simple. Being Green is not only looking at alternative energy sources, like solar and wind turbine power and saving water, but it is also about changing the way we look at and live in our environment. The idea is to act locally to create an effect globally. By educating our children, from the earliest stage of their school education is the obvious route to take. An imaginative and fun approach to educating children about their important responsibility will make our job easier. (Excerpt from the Blackheath Public School "Cool School" Draft 5 Year Plan)
Look at what we have done so far:
- We have a healthy canteen and soon we will serve homemade meals. We use local produce and local suppliers so we are on our way to no more packaging! In October, we will have our first LITTERLESS LUNCH!
- Our water tank is being installed. We will be able to collect rainwater from the roof of the kindergarten classrooms and use it on our vegetable and herb gardens.
- Our school uniforms are not only Australian made but locally made too. We will use natural fabrics.
- Our weekly newsletter has back page priority. Each week, an energy saving tip is listed alont with a great cartoon by our famous local cartoonist, Ian Dalkin.
- Our school heating, unflued gas, is not acceptable. We are looking into a hydronic heating system.
- Natural sunblock has been introduced in our classrooms. No more chemicals on our skin.
This item was posted in August 2006.